What is Flutter ?
Flutter is an open-source UI software development kit created by Google. It is used to develop applications for Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, Windows. It provides a simple, powerful, efficient and easy to understand SDK to write mobile application in Google’s own language, Dart. This course walks through the basics of Flutter framework, installation of Flutter SDK, setting up Android Studio to develop Flutter based application, architecture of Flutter framework and developing all type of mobile applications using Flutter framework.
Flutter was built to work for any device with a screen and works with:
- iOS and Android
- Web and Desktop (Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu) — Even support PWA
- Raspberry Pi (POC stage)
Features of Flutter
Flutter framework offers the following features to developers −
- Modern and reactive framework.
- Uses Dart programming language and it is very easy to learn.
- Fast development.
- Beautiful and fluid user interfaces.
- Huge widget catalog.
- Runs same UI for multiple platforms.
- High performance application.
Advantages of Flutter
Flutter comes with beautiful and customizable widgets for high performance and outstanding mobile application.
- Dart has a large repository of software packages which lets you to extend the capabilities of your application.
- Developers need to write just a single code base for both applications (both Android and iOS platforms). Flutter may to be extended to other platform as well in the future.
- Flutter needs lesser testing. Because of its single code base, it is sufficient if we write automated tests once for both the platforms.
- Flutter’s simplicity makes it a good candidate for fast development. Its customization capability and extendibility makes it even more powerful.
- With Flutter, developers has full control over the widgets and its layout.
- Flutter offers great developer tools, with amazing hot reload.
Disadvantages of Flutter
Despite its many advantages, flutter has the following drawbacks in it −
- Since it is coded in Dart language, a developer needs to learn new language (though it is easy to learn).
- Modern framework tries to separate logic and UI as much as possible but, in Flutter, user interface and logic is intermixed. We can overcome this using smart coding and using high level module to separate user interface and logic.
- Flutter is yet another framework to create mobile application. Developers are having a hard time in choosing the right development tools in hugely populated segment.